8.27.2010

Surgery

Today I had surgery! In December, right when we got back from Disneyland, I was walking into work and fell. We just had a huge storm. Freezing rain on top of snow on top of freezing rain on top of snow on top of freezing rain. It was horrible. Well Gabe had just kept sliding around and fell a few times. I was so terrified he would fall and get really hurt, so what does any mother do? Picked him up! I was walking and thought I was on a decent part of the pavement but I was wrong. It all happened so very fast. I slipped and my left ankle rolled and went under me. I landed holding Gabe on my side so he was fine. He was wearing a puffy coat and fleece lined jeans. I was in shock. I sat him up and made him stay on his bottom. I managed to get my leg in front of me but knew I would NOT be able to get up. There was no one in sight. I was so scared. Finally I saw a member walking from their car into the gym so I screamed and screamed. It felt like forever for her to get to us. I told her I fell and was hurting so bad, I asked her to please take Gabe inside and get someone to help me. She came out and they both managed to carry me inside. NO ONE helped me.. Not one single person besides the lady who I asked for help would help me.

I called my husband and my mother in law. Liz came to get Gabe and got me prepped. Gary rushed me to the hospital, I was in so much pain. Once there we got some xrays done reviling I had broke my tibia. They put me in a soft cast and sent me on my way. I saw a specialist the next day who put me in a walking boot. I saw him a few times and got my boot off in January. I was a happy girl.

I started physical therapy and did that for about 2 or 3 months. We got to a point where it had helped but there was just something else wrong. We did an MRI which showed I had a bunch of scar tissue built up in my ankle and surrounding foot. The doctor told me I could do two different things. I could either have a cortisone shot which should relieve the pain, OR I could have surgery to remove the scar tissue. I decided to try the shot. It was GREAT! I could do so much without any pain. I thought it would all be just fine from here. About 3 weeks after it wore off, I was in more pain and had a lot of discomfort. He told me that we were at the point where I needed surgery. I told him I would like to think about it and talk it over with my husband and our parents. About a month later I decided to go ahead with it. I was a wreck leading up to it. I wasn't sure what to expect pre-op, post-op and long term recovery.

Today I had the surgery. It was amazing. I went back and the nurse gave me some instructions and a few papers to sign and get gowned up. Once I was changed she started my IV, and got me a couple of medicines. I was more worried about getting an IV but they were able to numb my hand before and use a small needle, I wish they did this all the time! I will be asking for that from now on :). They brought my mom and husband back and gave them some instructions. Then I got my happy drugs! I started to relax and just was at peace. They took me back and I remember the doctor asking me a couple things, fluffing my pillow and them making me scoot down. Then I woke up! My post op nurse was so nice and helpful. She was so kind and sweet, she made sure I was doing okay and allowed my mom to come back. The more I woke up the more pain I felt. They asked if I wanted to have the Doctor do a block on the bottom of my leg but I said no I would just like some medicine. After that I was feeling a whole Lot better. I asked her if I could eat and she told me to start slow- soups, jello, liquids... JELLO?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I told her that wouldn't do and I would eat pudding, she again said no maybe later on just take it easy... So what did we do when we left that place?? We stooped and got me subway :)

My mom brought me back to her home to keep an eye on me and help me out. Its been a nice time with them. I don't ever get one on one time with my parents anymore so its a funny scene. I had a stretch of time where my medicine at the surgery center wore off when we got home before the pills they gave me kicked in. It wasn't so fun. I am now more on top of it and feeling really well. The medicine is making me really wirrey(sp?) and I am not a huge fan.

I want to thank EVERYONE for all the support and prayers on my behalf. I really appreciate it. You all have offered to take care of me, and take Gabe off my hands. I think and hope this is a speedy recovery! I am ready to take my babies to the park again.

1 comment:

donna said...

I hope you recover fast.. ; )